Current:Home > StocksRekubit-Israeli airstrikes in expanded offensive kill at least 90 and destroy 2 homes, officials say -EverVision Finance
Rekubit-Israeli airstrikes in expanded offensive kill at least 90 and destroy 2 homes, officials say
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 13:56:48
More than 90 Palestinians,Rekubit including dozens from an extended family, were killed in Israeli airstrikes on two homes, rescuers and hospital officials said Saturday, a day after the U.N. chief warned again that nowhere is safe in Gaza and that Israel's ongoing offensive is creating "massive obstacles" to the distribution of humanitarian aid.
Also Saturday, the Israeli military said troops arrested hundreds of alleged militants in Gaza over the past week and transferred more than 200 of them to Israel for further interrogation, providing rare details on a controversial policy of mass roundups of Palestinian men. The army said more than 700 people with alleged ties to the militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad have so far been sent to Israeli lockups.
Israel declared war after Hamas gunmen stormed across the border on Oct. 7, killing some 1,200 people and taking some 240 hostages. More than 20,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israel's war to destroy Hamas and more than 53,000 have been wounded, according to health officials in Gaza, a besieged territory ruled by the Islamic militant group for the past 16 years.
President Biden spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Saturday, calling it a long and private conversation a day after the Biden administration again shielded Israel in the diplomatic arena. On Friday, the U.N. Security Council adopted a watered-down resolution that calls for immediately speeding up aid deliveries to desperate civilians in Gaza, but not for a cease-fire.
"I did not ask for a cease-fire," Biden said of the call. Netanyahu's office said the prime minister "made clear that Israel would continue the war until achieving all its goals."
Despite mounting international calls for a cease-fire, Israel has vowed to keep up the fight until Hamas is destroyed and removed from power in Gaza and all the hostages are freed.
On Friday, airstrikes flattened two homes, one in Gaza City and the other in the urban refugee camp of Nuseirat in the center of the territory.
The Health Ministry in Gaza on Saturday evening said 201 people had been killed over the past 24 hours.
The Gaza City strikes Friday killed 76 people from the al-Mughrabi family, making it one of the deadliest of the war, said Mahmoud Bassal, a spokesman for Palestinian Civil Defense. He provided the names of 16 heads of households within the family, and said the dead included women and children.
Among those killed were Issam al-Mughrabi, a veteran employee of U.N. Development Program, his wife, and their five children.
"The loss of Issam and his family has deeply affected us all. The U.N. and civilians in Gaza are not a target," said Achim Steiner, the head of the agency. "This war must end."
Later Friday, a strike pulverized the Nuseirat home of Mohammed Khalifa, a local TV journalist, killing him and at least 14 others, according to officials at the nearby Al Aqsa Martyrs' Hospital where the bodies were taken. Mourners held funeral prayers Saturday in the hospital's courtyard while rescue teams continued to search for survivors. The legs of at least two bodies were seen under what appeared to be a collapsed roof.
Israel blames Hamas for the high civilian death toll, citing the militants' use of crowded residential areas and tunnels. Israel has launched thousands of airstrikes since Oct. 7, and has largely refrained from commenting on specific attacks, including discussing the intended target.
Israel's offensive has been one of the most devastating military campaigns in recent history, displacing nearly 85% of Gaza's 2.3 million people and leveling wide swaths of the tiny coastal enclave. More than half a million people in Gaza — a quarter of the population — are starving, according to a report this week from the United Nations and other agencies.
The military spokesman, Rear Adm. Daniel Hagari, said late Friday that forces are widening the ground offensive "to additional areas of the strip, with a focus on the south." He said operations were also continuing in the northern half of Gaza, the initial focus of Israel's ground offensive. The army said that it carried out airstrikes against Hamas fighters in several locations of Gaza City.
The army statement on detentions followed earlier Palestinian reports of large-scale roundups of teenage boys and men from homes, shelters and hospitals in northern Gaza where ground troops have established firmer control. Some of the released detainees have said they were stripped to their underwear, beaten and held for days with minimal water.
The military has denied abuse allegations and said those without links to militants were quickly released.
Israel says it has killed thousands of Hamas militants, including about 2,000 in the past three weeks, but has not presented evidence. It says 139 of its soldiers have been killed in the ground offensive.
In the aftermath of the U.N. resolution, it was not immediately clear how and when aid deliveries would accelerate. Currently, trucks enter through two crossings — Rafah on the border with Egypt and Kerem Shalom on the border with Israel. Both crossings were closed Saturday by mutual agreement between Israel, Egypt and the United Nations, Israeli officials said.
Ahead of the Security Council vote, the U.S. negotiated the removal of language that would have given the U.N. authority to inspect aid going into Gaza, something Israel says it must continue to do to ensure material does not reach Hamas.
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said Friday that it's a mistake to measure the effectiveness of the humanitarian operation by the number of trucks.
"The real problem is that the way Israel is conducting this offensive is creating massive obstacles to the distribution of humanitarian aid inside Gaza," he said. He said the prerequisites for an effective aid operation don't exist — security, staff that can work in safety, logistical capacity especially trucks, and the resumption of commercial activity.
Guterres reiterated his longstanding call for a humanitarian cease-fire. He expressed hope that the resolution may help this happen but said "much more is needed immediately" to end the ongoing "nightmare" for the people in Gaza.
The United States had won the removal of a tougher call for an "urgent suspension of hostilities" between Israel and Hamas. It abstained in the vote, as did Russia, which wanted the stronger language.
Israel's ambassador to the U.N., Gilad Erdan, sharply criticized the U.N. for its failure to condemn Hamas' Oct. 7 attacks. The U.S. vetoed a resolution in October that would have included a condemnation because it didn't also underline Israel's right to self-defense.
Hamas said the U.N. resolution should have demanded an immediate halt to Israel's offensive, and it blamed the United States for pushing "to empty the resolution of its essence" before Friday's Security Council vote
- In:
- War
- Hamas
- Israel
- Politics
- United Nations
- Gaza Strip
veryGood! (522)
Related
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Illinois Gov. Pritzker criticizes sheriff for hiring deputy who fatally shot Sonya Massey
- The Imane Khelif controversy lays bare an outrage machine fueled by lies
- Jennifer Lopez's Latest Career Move Combines the Bridgerton and Emily Henry Universes
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Enjoy this era of U.S. men's basketball Olympic superstars while you still can
- Dolce & Gabbana introduces fragrance mist for dogs: 'Crafted for a playful beauty routine'
- USWNT coach Emma Hayes calls Naomi Girma the 'best defender I've ever seen — ever'
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Keira Knightley Shares Daughter’s Dyslexia Diagnosis in Rare Family Update
Ranking
- Selena Gomez's "Weird Uncles" Steve Martin and Martin Short React to Her Engagement
- 4 hotel employees charged with being party to felony murder in connection with Black man’s death
- Florida man charged after lassoing 9-foot alligator: 'I was just trying to help'
- New York City’s freewheeling era of outdoor dining has come to end
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Software upgrades for Hyundai, Kia help cut theft rates, new HLDI research finds
- How Blake Lively Honored Queen Britney Spears During Red Carpet Date Night With Ryan Reynolds
- Ex-Illinois deputy shot Sonya Massey out of fear for his life, sheriff's report says
Recommendation
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Utility company’s proposal to rat out hidden marijuana operations to police raises privacy concerns
Why is 'Brightwood' going viral now? Here's what's behind the horror sensation
Olympic medals today: What is the medal count at 2024 Paris Games on Wednesday?
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Utility company’s proposal to rat out hidden marijuana operations to police raises privacy concerns
Federal indictment accuses 15 people of trafficking drugs from Mexico and distributing in Minnesota
Texas man whose lawyers say is intellectually disabled facing execution for 1997 killing of jogger