Current:Home > StocksSignalHub-Baton Rouge Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead Baton Rouge schools -EverVision Finance
SignalHub-Baton Rouge Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead Baton Rouge schools
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 13:20:35
BATON ROUGE,SignalHub La. (AP) — The East Baton Rouge Parish School Board has selected Metro Councilman LaMont Cole to lead the state’s second-largest traditional school district.
Wednesday’s unanimous vote came after weeks at an impasse following the withdrawal of several top candidates to replace Sito Narcisse who left the system in January six weeks after the School Board voted 5-4 to not renew his contract.
The decision comes just two weeks before students return Aug. 8 for the new school year and a day before State Superintendent of Education Cade Brumley planned to take unspecified action to compel the selection of a new superintendent.
Cole jumped in Tuesday after sitting out the initial round of applications held last month. He immediately rose to the top of the second round of applicants. Four hours after the application deadline, Cole was selected as the lone finalist and immediately sat for a 90-minute interview, The Advocate reported.
“I’m not remotely interested in leading a district that is just good,” Cole told board members. “I want our district to be great.”
Cole has spent 26 years in education in Baton Rouge. The past 13 have been as chief academic officer for CSAL Inc., a Baton Rouge-based charter school network. He also spent several years working for the parish school system, including stints as principal at both Capitol and Park Forest middle schools. The biggest hole in his résumé is a lack of experience as a Central Office administrator.
“Baton Rouge, this is my home. This is the city I love and I care about it so much,” Cole said, choked up with emotion.
Cole made clear his mission is more than just the 40,000 students enrolled in the school district.
“All of the children in this city are our students whether they go to our schools or not,” Cole said. “If they are eligible to attend one of our schools, we have to be concerned about the education they are receiving wherever they are and we have to be willing to own that responsibility.”
In a statement after the vote, Brumley spoke positively of the board’s action Wednesday.
“I’m encouraged by the board’s decision to come together around a new superintendent. Choosing a system leader is a core responsibility of a board, but the true work lies ahead,” Brumley said. “Too many students lack a basic education and graduate without the skills to lead a productive life. Too many teaching positions go unfilled. Too many families are trapped in failing schools. For Louisiana to succeed, we need East Baton Rouge to succeed.”
Cole’s path to the job was made easier when Narcisse withdrew his application minutes before interviews were to begin. Adam Smith had served as interim superintendent, but his six-month contract expired Tuesday, putting the district into legal uncertainty.
In response to a question from board member Mike Gaudet, Cole said, if hired, he would withdraw immediately from seeking re-election to District 7 this fall and would immediately start the process of leaving the Metro Council. Cole was first appointed to the seat in 2016 after his predecessor, state Rep. C. Denise Marcelle, was elected to the legislature. His current term ends in December.
veryGood! (9945)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- JoJo Siwa Pushes Back on Criticism of Her Adult Era While Debuting Dramatic All-Black Look
- Mike Feinsilber fought the epic AP-UPI rivalry from both camps with wit and grace
- Uvalde mayor abruptly resigns, citing health concerns, ahead of City Council meeting
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- Trump Media auditor raises doubts about Truth Social's future in new filing
- Why Kate Middleton's Video Sharing Cancer Diagnosis Was Flagged With Editor's Note by Photo Agency
- Here's why Angel Reese and LSU will beat Iowa and Caitlin Clark, again
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Missing woman who called 911 for help over a month ago found dead in remote area near Arizona-California border
Ranking
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- College will cost up to $95,000 this fall. Schools say it’s OK, financial aid can numb sticker shock
- Minnesota Timberwolves sale: What we know about Alex Rodriguez and how deal collapsed
- Did 'The Simpsons' predict NC State-Duke Elite Eight March Madness game?
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Fast food chains, workers are bracing for California's minimum wage increase: What to know
- Carson Wentz to sign one-year deal with Kansas City Chiefs
- Horoscopes Today, March 31, 2024
Recommendation
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
New York inmates are suing to watch the solar eclipse after state orders prisons locked down
Prepare to Roar Over Katy Perry's Risqué Sheer 2024 iHeartRadio Music Awards Look
Jennie Garth reunites with 'Beverly Hills, 90210' co-star Ian Ziering for Easter charity event
Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
3-year-old boy who walked away from home found dead in cattle watering hole in Alabama
Carson Wentz to sign one-year deal with Kansas City Chiefs
NCAA apologizes, fixes court overnight. Uneven 3-point line blamed on 'human error'