Current:Home > FinanceVince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive' -EverVision Finance
Vince McMahon criticizes 'Mr. McMahon' Netflix docuseries, calls it 'deceptive'
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:47:48
Former WWE CEO Vince McMahon slammed the upcoming Netflix docuseries "Mr. McMahon," calling it a "misleading" and "deceptive" depiction of him.
The founder of WWE said in a statement on Monday he didn't regret participating in the Netflix documentary set to be released this week. The six-part series chronicles McMahon's rise to power and the controversies that surrounded him. A trailer for the series hints at the lawsuit brought on by a former WWE employee that accuses McMahon of abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking.
McMahon said the producers had the chance "to tell an objective story about my life and the incredible business I built, which were equally filled with excitement, drama, fun, and a fair amount of controversy and life lessons."
"Unfortunately, based on an early partial cut I’ve seen, this doc falls short and takes the predictable path of conflating the "Mr. McMahon" character with my true self, Vince. The title and promos alone make that evident," he said. "A lot has been misrepresented or left out entirely in an effort to leave viewers intentionally confused. The producers use typical editing tricks with out of context footage and dated soundbites etc. to distort the viewers’ perception and support a deceptive narrative.
"In an attempt to further their misleading account, the producers use a lawsuit based on an affair I ended as evidence that I am, in fact, 'Mr. McMahon.' I hope the viewer will keep an open mind and remember that there are two sides to every story.”
According to Netflix, the series "delves into the mogul's controversial reign" during WWE, which ended this year when he resigned as executive chairman and board member of TKO Group Holdings, the parent company of WWE. His resignation came just after former WWE employee Janel Grant said she was put through sexual acts by McMahon that were done with "extreme cruelty and degradation." Grant alleged McMahon made her sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship for an agreed amount of $3 million, but she didn't receive full payment from McMahon and wants to void the agreement with the lawsuit. Currently, the the U.S. Department of Justice is conducting its own investigation into McMahon.
Attorney responds to Vince McMahon statement
Grant was not interviewed for the docuseries, her lawyers said last week. After McMahon released his statement, Ann Callis, an attorney for Grant, told TODAY Sports in a statement that calling "his horrific and criminal behavior 'an affair' is delusional and nothing more than a sad attempt to save his shredded reputation."
"Vince McMahon physically and emotionally abused, sexually assaulted and human trafficked Janel Grant for more than two years," Callis said. "Although Ms. Grant has not seen the “Mr. McMahon” docuseries, we hope it shines a bright light on his abhorrent and criminal actions by accurately portraying the realities of his abusive and exploitative behavior.
“Ms. Grant will no longer be silenced by McMahon. Her story, though deeply troubling and exceptionally painful, is one that can help other abuse survivors find their voices. We seek to hold McMahon, John Laurinaitis and WWE accountable and to give Ms. Grant her day in court," Callis added.
"Mr. McMahon" will be available to stream on Wednesday.
veryGood! (18423)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Lisa Vanderpump Is Joining Season 2 of Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars
- New York City nearly resolves delays in benefits to thousands of low income residents, mayor says
- Takeaways from the Wisconsin 2020 fake electors lawsuit settlement
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Emma Hemming Willis shares video about Bruce Willis' life after diagnosis: It's filled with joy.
- Caitlin Clark is among college basketball's greats, with or without an NCAA title
- History-rich Pac-12 marks the end of an era as the conference basketball tournaments take place
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- EA Sports announces over 10,000 athletes have accepted NIL deal for its college football video game
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- New Jersey waters down proposed referendum on new fossil fuel power plant ban
- Lisa Vanderpump Is Joining Season 2 of Gordon Ramsay’s Food Stars
- With a million cases of dengue so far this year, Brazil is in a state of emergency
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- The growing industry of green burials
- “Who TF Did I Marry?” TikToker Reesa Teesa Details the Most Painful Part of Her Marriage
- Jack Teixeira pleads guilty to leaking hundreds of highly classified Pentagon documents
Recommendation
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Deputies fatally shot a double-murder suspect who was holding a chrome shower head
More than 10,000 players will be in EA Sports College Football 25 video game
Authorities say man who killed 2 in small Minnesota town didn’t know his victims
The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
New York City nearly resolves delays in benefits to thousands of low income residents, mayor says
The growing industry of green burials
Mike Evans, Buccaneers agree to two-year contract ahead of NFL free agency