Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-Ryan Murphy Responds to Eric Menendez’s Criticism of Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story -EverVision Finance
Rekubit-Ryan Murphy Responds to Eric Menendez’s Criticism of Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 13:42:59
Ryan Murphy is Rekubitstanding by his work.
Despite the backlash his new true crime series Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story has received from one of the show’s subjects, Eric Menendez—who alongside his brother Lyle Menendez was convicted of murdering their parents Kitty Menendez and Jose Menendez—the American Horror Story creator believes in what his series has achieved.
“I know he hasn't watched the show, so I find that curious,” Ryan told E! News at the Sept. 23 premiere of Grotesquerie of Eric’s criticism. “I know this for a fact. I hope he does watch it. I think if he did watch it, he would be incredibly proud of Cooper Koch, who plays him.”
He continued, “I think the show is very interesting—what we're trying to do is show many, many, many, many perspectives. In every episode, you are given a new theory based on people who were either involved or covered the case.”
But as the 58-year-old noted, that doesn’t mean that every theory portrayed—including one that Eric and his brother Lyle were involved in an incestuous relationship—will be received favorably, especially for the subjects themselves.
“There are people who say that never happened,” Ryan admitted, before adding, “There were people who said it did happen.”
The Dahmer creator also spoke to the very nature of the series being based in true crime.
“We know how it ended,” Ryan pointed out. “We know two people were brutally shot. Our view and what we wanted to do was present you all the facts and have you do two things: make up your own mind about who's innocent, who's guilty, and who's the monster, and also have a conversation about something that's never talked about in our culture, which is male sexual abuse, which we do responsibly.”
In fact, Lyle and Eric’s in-court defense—which claimed the two brothers had been the victims of physical and sexual abuse at the hands of their parents for years—features predominantly in the new series.
“If you look at that show, 60 to 65% of the show centers around Eric and Lyle Menendez talking about their abuse, talking about their victimization, talking about what it emotionally put them through,” Ryan noted. “Those two boys on our show, get their moment in court, and then so then some.”
But as the longtime producer added, “I'm used to this. I write about provocative things and controversial things, and my motto is 'never complain and never explain.'”
Ryan’s comments come after Eric—who is currently serving a life sentence alongside Lyle after being convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to murder for the 1989 killings—slammed the new series.
"I believed we had moved beyond the lies and ruinous character portrayals of Lyle, creating a caricature of Lyle rooted in horrible and blatant lies rampant in the show," Erik said in a Sept. 19 statement shared to X, formerly Twitter, by his wife Tammi Menendez. "I can only believe they were done so on purpose. It is with a heavy heart that I say, I believe Ryan Murphy cannot be this naive and inaccurate about the facts of our lives so as to do this without bad intent."
He continued, "It is sad for me to know that Netflix's dishonest portrayal of the tragedies surrounding our crime have taken the painful truths several steps backward, back through time to an era when the prosecution built a narrative on a belief system that males were not sexually abused, and that males experienced rape trauma differently than women."
-Reporting by Emily Curl
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (3922)
Related
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Why an ulcer drug could be the last option for many abortion patients
- Coronavirus ‘Really Not the Way You Want To Decrease Emissions’
- Exodus From Canada’s Oil Sands Continues as Energy Giants Shed Assets
- Small twin
- U.S. Military Knew Flood Risks at Offutt Air Force Base, But Didn’t Act in Time
- High inflation and housing costs force Americans to delay needed health care
- Carbon Footprint of Canada’s Oil Sands Is Larger Than Thought
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Blac Chyna Debuts Edgy Half-Shaved Head Amid Personal Transformation Journey
Ranking
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- How to help young people limit screen time — and feel better about how they look
- The Impossibly Cute Pika’s Survival May Say Something About Our Own Future
- Peyton Manning surprises father and son, who has cerebral palsy, with invitation to IRONMAN World Championship
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Michigan bans hairstyle discrimination in workplaces and schools
- Keystone XL: Environmental and Native Groups Sue to Halt Pipeline
- Spills on Aging Enbridge Pipeline Have Topped 1 Million Gallons, Report Says
Recommendation
Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
Keystone XL: Environmental and Native Groups Sue to Halt Pipeline
U.S. intelligence acquires significant amount of Americans' personal data, concerning report finds
Why Miley Cyrus Wouldn't Want to Erase Her and Liam Hemsworth's Relationship Despite Divorce
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
How to watch a rare 5-planet alignment this weekend
Greenpeace Activists Avoid Felony Charges Following a Protest Near Houston’s Oil Port
This is the period talk you should've gotten